So, this was the second day of school for the boys (school in Costa Rica begins in February and goes thru November) and Lucas handed me this note after school; one of MANY to follow.
9 de febrero de 2010
Estimados(as)
Padres y madres de familia.
Reciban un cordial saludo.
La presente es para invitarlos a la reunión que se llevara a cabo el día jueves 11 de febrero a las 2:30 p.m. en el aula de sexto grado; con el fin de conocernos e informarles algunos asuntos académicos, además nos vemos en la necesidad de organizarnos para las actividades de este último año escolar de sus hijos(as). Espero contar con su valiosa asistencia.
Atentamente:
(Teacher’s Signature)
This very short note leaves my brain tired and wondering exactly what it says. All I know is that I will be at the school at 2:30 this Thursday for some kind of meeting about the new school year. The note isn’t really the difficult part of the whole situation. The difficult thing will be going to this meeting and trying to recognize enough Spanish words so I can shake my head in recognition of my comprehension. This is an example of what is in store for me over the many months ahead.
FOR DINNER TONIGHT:
Chinese Chicken - This was not a typical Chinese dish that I am used to. The end was result was flavorful, but had no “sauce” to it. I was going to throw the recipe away, but Lucas convinced me to keep it in my folder. I will probably not attempt this again, unless I want to play around with it and invent a saucy coating for it. I am giving this dish 2 ½ stars out of 5.
Fried Rice – www.allrecipes.com I was very disappointed with this recipe. I threw it in the trash! I followed the recipe, but omitted the peas (hence Ryan’s legume/pod phobia) and it tasted nothing like fried rice. The soy sauce here in Costa Rica is a bit different than what you find in the states, but I still don’t think that would have made any difference.
Overall, I would call tonight’s dinner a big waste of time and ingredients.
No comments:
Post a Comment